Open LNK File
LNK file extension is most commonly used by LiNK files on Windows operating system. LNK files are also known as "shortcuts". These files are used for quickly accessing some resource: program, document, website, etc. These files contain information about the location of resource shortcut links to (ex: http://www.yahoo.com, or c:\users\John\Documents\Thesis.docx). LNK files also contain and "icon" - small image to display on the desktop or in the start menu that helps distinguish shortcuts from one another.
To open LNK file you can just double click on it.
If LNK file references an executable it contains additional data specific to executable files such as directory to run program from, initial window size (maximized, minimized or normal) and several tweaks and knobs related to compatibility with older versions of Windows.
It's important to remember that shortcuts only reference programs so merely deleting a shortcut from the desktop or start menu doesn't uninstall the program. This has to be done explicitly. Program that has not been uninstalled still consumes computer resources such as disk space, memory, registry settings etc.
If you try to open LNK file which references non existing application or folder the Windows OS will report an error and fail to launch application in the LNK file.
Open LNK File on Windows OS
- Find a LNK file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the LNK file in question.
- If you know the application which can open LNK file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open LNK file then try to search for "LNK wiki", "application to open LNK file" or "LNK file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open LNK file
Rate this page: 5/5 based on 11 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open LNK files, file extension lnk and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...